Thursday 18 July 2013

Book Review - The Help

The Help

How did I first hear about this book?

My mum was reading the book and when she was talking about it I knew it was the kind of book I would love to read.  I really love history and because it set back when Racism was huge in America I knew it was a must read. I think it was recommended to my mum from Amazon as she had bought books like it before. Anyway, once my mum had finished with it I quickly went to her room, got the book and started reading.

Short description of the book:

The book is set, like I said when racism was big in South America and black people only had relatively simple jobs and were separated from the white people of the state. The book focuses on 3 people who each tell their side of the story, they are Aibleen a maid who's son was killed and has a lot of respect in the coloured community, Ms. Skeeter a white, upper class woman looking for her maid who left abruptly and Minnie a maid who is beaten by her husband. It follows the story of how Ms. Skeeter a non racist, upper class white woman who decides to write a book telling true stories of different maids in Jacksonville to show the nation how maids have seen more and done more than most people. The book explores many topics including love, opportunities, hate, class, humour, race and how people can all be together as one.

Would I recommend this book?

YES 100%. I believe you should read the book before watching the film adaptation, however the film does stick closely to the book. I finished this book within a week because it was so good! and when I found out it was being made into a film I got excited. I laughed, cried, gasped and smiled when reading this book. It really is one to read. I recommend it to anyone who is hunting for a new book to read. GO, GO AND GET THIS BOOK

Rating out of 10:

10/10, I think you understand how much I love it by now.

Thank you

George.


(found on pinterest)



If you are interested in getting the book click here

No comments:

Post a Comment